Thursday, June 29, 2023

Internal Family Systems exercise

 

IFS Exercise: All Parts are Welcome

All Parts Are Welcome Schwartz states that in IFS treatment, “all parts are welcome” (Anderson, Sweezy, & Schwartz, 2017, p. 33). T

The following exercise can help you embrace (and talk to) all parts of your Self using your attention and a few simple questions (modified from Anderson, Sweezy, & Schwartz, 2017).

Step one focus your attention inside yourself and say the following in your head or out loud: “I want to help anyone that needs help, but first, I need to know all of you.”

Step two then say the following out loud or to yourself: “If you overwhelm me, I will not be able to help you.”

Step three make the following request: “Please be here with me, rather than taking me over. When you are ready, let me know who you are, and I will write it down.”

Step four make a note of the parts (including thoughts, emotions, and sensations) that you feel or experience: Schwartz and team created this exercise to help the client welcome all part of their Self (Anderson, Sweezy, & Schwartz, 2017). References

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on this subject.

Reciprocal Relationships

 Most of us do not consciously think about reciprocity in our intimate relationships. When we do, we might say, “Of course it is important.”...